Rattler/Firebird Association

Robert Garcia

Name Robert Garcia
Rank/Grade SP4 - E4 - Army - Regular
Age 19
Marital Status Single
Race Caucasian
Gender Male
Date of Birth Jun 7, 1948
From San Antonio, Texas
Length of Service 1 year
Tour Began Feb 20, 1967
Casualty Date Sep 14, 1967
Hostile/Non-Hostile   Hostile, died of wounds
Body Recovered Yes
Religion Roman Catholic

Vietnam Memorial


Panel 26E - - Line 71
Robert Garcia

Visitor Comments

Posted by:Ron Seabolt
Date:Wednesday, June 26, 2002 8:47 AM UTC
Comments:Robert Garcia was the crew chief of a 2nd platoon aircraft that landed to the right of a downed aircraft that had landed in a mined LZ on "Million Dollar Hill" (so named because of the aircraft lost on it). Garcia got out of his ship and went over to assist the crew of the downed Rattler. As he approached the gunner who was helping the wounded crew chief, this crew chief stepped on a mine which instantly killed the two men and mortally wounded Garcia who died two days later. On the 13th, a truck load of us had went to visit Robert in the hospital. I was so naive that I thought he would be ok. Robert asked us if we had to go back to the same area that day. This man was dying, yet showing his concern for the rest of us. Rest in Peace Brother!

Posted by:Marlin Johnson
Date:Monday, July 1, 2002 12:41 PM UTC
From:Ontario, Oregon
Comments:I was flying with Robert Garcia the day he was injured. I also went to the hospital to visit a couple of times. Always thought he would make it. He was my first crew chief and we only flew together about 10 days before he was killed. A great guy to work with who was very helpful to this fng. It took an awful lot of courage to do what he did that day. Gone, but not forgotten.

Posted by:Dave Shaw
Date:Sunday, July 7, 2002 2:18 AM UTC
Relationship:brother at arms
From:Yreka, CA
Comments:I visited Garcia in the hospital along with Marlin Johnson who later became one of my Door Gunners. I too thought he would live. Rest in peace brother.

Posted by:Barry Lawson
Date:Sunday, December 11, 2005 9:12 PM UTC
From:Raleigh, NC
Comments:I was the co-pilot on the ship that day. A bad, very bad day. We were the far left ship in a V-formation. The first ship appeared to get hit with what these days is called an "improvised explosive device", back then it was called a "bouncing betty". We were so close to the first ship that there was apparently some collateral damage to our ship, specifically the tail rotor. Our pilot had been hit and told me to take it, but we were already spinning to the right and headed for the deck. By the time I gained any control we were on the ground facing back the way we came in-but we were still ok. Robert said there were injured in the ship next to us, that he was going to unplug his helmet and go help. The next thing I heard were loud explosions and the radio chatter was "don't move, there are land mines everywhere!" It was too late for Robert he was already hit. With the disabled choppers in the LZ there was nowhere for anyone else to land, and casualties were piling up. The rest of us evacuated the chopper, and went to Robert's side. There was little we could do. I recall asking if he wanted a smoke and he said no. He actually looked calm and peaceful like. We put a flack jacket around his lower body to try and control the bleeding. Soon another chopper came in, refusing to land, but asked that we lift the wounded up to the chopper. We put Robert on that bird, and that was it. We went to visit him in the hospital-I think I went with Marlin, but the Docs said there was just too much damage, could not control the bleeding. He was a brave soldier and died way too young, way too young.


Add Your Comments
(we reserve the right to remove any disrespectful comments)